Re: Outdoor PIRs (was Re: Suggestions wanted for Motion Detector delay/time-out)

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> "John W" <Don't_Spam_Me@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
> <stuff snipped>
>
> [re: Outdoor X-10 PIRS]
>

> Are you using the specially-made outdoor PIRs from X-10 with the extra
> gasketing or did you adapt the indoor ones?  Are the mounted high or low?
> I'd really like to get mine to work because the outdoor ones are so
> expensive.  So far, the X-10 outdoor PIR experience has been bad for me
> but
> it may be that I still haven't properly debugged the issues or located the
> sensors I've found that the driveway alarm that cries wolf too often
> eventually gets ignored or turned off.

I use the black weather-proofed versions (Eagleyes) mounted high just under
the eaves.  We have a double garage and they are mounted on either side of
the doors pointing more-or-less towards each other but more out and down.
The RR501 receiver is in the garage.  Between them is a PR511 (X10 Dual
Floodlight MD) which casts the deciding vote.  Since it is not RF, it is a
little more reliable than the Eagleyes.  It is also modified to seperate the
floods from the MD so I can have it detect even in daylight but only turn
the floods on at night.

John W