Re: X10/Insteon

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 23:25:09 GMT, BruceR wrote:
> I like the Insteon stuff myself. X10 is 30+ year old technology and has
> survived only because nothing better was available in the price
> category. Insteon solves that. I'm converting now and so far all is
> working very well.
>
> From:Chris
> chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>> 8 years ago I set up x10 controls for the lights throughout my house.
>> I am now ready to install a system in my new home, and am looking to
>> find out if Insteon or some other system is better than x10?
>>
>> The things I did not like about the x10 system were:
>>
>>    poor reliability of 3 way switches

Insteon probably has this solved, with the enrollment and ACK/NAk part
of the protocol

>>    delay

Insteon is shorter. Insteon speed is about 2K bps (worse case) vs 60
bps for X10.

>>    no soft on

Smarthome has this for X10 and Insteon. Insteon is sold by Smarthome
and I'd venture a guess that the X10 and Insteon prices are the
same for the products with that feature.

Overall I agree with Bruce.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site