Re: translator question

"John W" <Don't_Spam_Me@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:6q6dna7b7_G130veRVn-og@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >I'm interested in this aspect of the Ocelot and just had a conversation
> >with
> > John Warner about how he sets his "guest" and "holiday" flags.  Although
> > envisioned a secret Bat Cave with arrays of toggles labeled "Guest Mode"
> > and
> > "Holiday Mode" he assured me he just sets those flags via CMAX.  But
> > stopping the running program to tweak variables from the CMAX console is
> > long way from sending "A1 ON NOW" in ASCII to the Ocelot's serial port
and
> > having it do anything.
>
> There are several ways currently to communicate with the Ocelot in real
> time:
>
> 1) X10 is the most obvious.  I have a 4 position Leviton Wall Mount
> controller (relaces a normal light switch) that I use to set the guest
flag,
> over-ride "light security mode" etc.  I also use Palmpad controllers to
> signal various things like camera selections, bed time etc.

While I like it, and it probably is the cheapest and most versatile solution
given the cost of SECU units, it's X-10, and one of the reasons I am going
the Ocelot route is to get away from all things X-10 - at least those things
controlled by Ocelot.  It's fine for house lights and I like the fact that
my alarm panel can flash them all on and off during an alarm but it's
getting more and more troublesome to maintain.

> 2) IR is another way through my IR dongle or the built-in IR receiver on
the
> Ocelot.  I only use this for IR control but the Ocelot can be programmed
> do any funtion you like based on an IR match.

Yes.  This is the function that I believe Guy used to allow the Ocelot to
respond to the Walmart multifunction fan control.  It has quite a bit of
promise.

> 3) SECU16 inputs are used to communicate PIR detects, Alarm Keypad
> set/reset, garge door positions etc.  They could also be used with a
> home-brew control console like you were imagining.

My secret Bat Cave Wizard of Oz panel!  I'm already looking for something to
cleverly conceal it in.

> 4) By connecting to the Ocelot with a PC, flags and variables can be
> manually set.  I use this method to set my holiday flag - something I only
> have to do a few times per year to tell the SpeakEasy not to wake us up at
> the usual time..

I can see why Dave suggested the serial Bobcat.  I am going to get awfully
tired of the serial switchbox I am using being in the wrong position.  I
just wish the Serial Bobcat was two way.  Probably the only way that will
happen is if I break down and decide to by the one-way version.  They'll
announce the new version the very next day!

Thanks for the input, John.  Very helpful, as always!

--
Bobby G.