Re: translator question

>I'm interested in this aspect of the Ocelot and just had a conversation
>with
> John Warner about how he sets his "guest" and "holiday" flags.  Although I
> envisioned a secret Bat Cave with arrays of toggles labeled "Guest Mode"
> and
> "Holiday Mode" he assured me he just sets those flags via CMAX.  But
> stopping the running program to tweak variables from the CMAX console is a
> long way from sending "A1 ON NOW" in ASCII to the Ocelot's serial port and
> having it do anything.

There are several ways currently to communicate with the Ocelot in real
time:

1) X10 is the most obvious.  I have a 4 position Leviton Wall Mount
controller (relaces a normal light switch) that I use to set the guest flag,
over-ride "light security mode" etc.  I also use Palmpad controllers to
signal various things like camera selections, bed time etc.

2) IR is another way through my IR dongle or the built-in IR receiver on the
Ocelot.  I only use this for IR control but the Ocelot can be programmed to
do any funtion you like based on an IR match.

3) SECU16 inputs are used to communicate PIR detects, Alarm Keypad
set/reset, garge door positions etc.  They could also be used with a
home-brew control console like you were imagining.

4) By connecting to the Ocelot with a PC, flags and variables can be
manually set.  I use this method to set my holiday flag - something I only
have to do a few times per year to tell the SpeakEasy not to wake us up at
the usual time..

John W