Re: Bypass GFCI using Transceiver?

"Chris Shearer Cooper" <chrisnews@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>I've got some circuits that are protected by a GFCI outlet - which, after
>doing some testing, seems to also mean that those circuits are protected
>from receiving X10 signals.
>
>(yes, I've tried the various other suggestions about things on the circuits
>that can cause noise that can drown out X10 signals - at this point I've
>pretty well convinced myself it's the GFCI that's the problem).
>
>I want to control things on this circuit using my computer interface
>(currently a CM11A but I'll probably buy a CM15A soon).
>
>Can I put a transceiver (like the RR501) on the circuit, on the far side of
>the GFCI, send radio signals to the transceiver from my CM11A/CM15A, and
>have the transceiver send those signals via X10 to other X10 devices on that
>circuit (simple lamp controllers)?  Is that the whole point of the name
>"transceiver", or am I just having an extraordinarily dense night?

There is no way to send "radio: signals with the CM11A. It can only send PLC
(power line communication) While the CM15A does include a 310MHz RF
transmitter module, the last time I looked, it was not exposed by the X-10
software.

In principle, your idea is sound but you need a way to send "radio" signals
(e.g. HR12A palmpad). Also, if it is the CGFI that's blocking X-10, it may
be bidirectional in effect and may still attenuate PLC signals even when
injected downstream.

I would try temporarily replacing the CGFI outlet with a standard one to
verify that it is the culprit.