Re: Can a halogen light be dimmed

On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 13:06:34 -0500, labbie48
<labbie48_nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote (with possible editing):

>I have 8 under the cabinet lights in my kitchen that use 15W halogen
>bulbs. When they're on and your in the kitchen it's okay but I'd like
>to dim them after the kitchen chores are done. I was thinking of
>either adding a dimmer switch (yuck!) or automate them using a motion
>sensor that detects when there is no activity for a period of time and
>then dims them.
>
>I am using homeseer.
>
>Thanks
>Ray

Yes, halogen bulbs can be dimmed.  However, they are usually available
in several voltages.  If they are 120vac, any dimmer can handle them.
If they are low voltage (through a transformer) you must use an X-10
dimmer designed for inductive loads.

Several manufacturers claim that halogen bulbs must be run at full
temperature periodically to lengthen their lives and remove the carbon
buildup which will form if they are run at reduced voltage.  I have no
idea if that's true.  We have a chandelier in our front hall which
always runs at reduced voltage.  It uses about 30 high voltage bulbs
and has been running for several years now.  It switches on at sunset
and runs to 11 pm every day.  Every now and then it is switched on by
a motion detector which runs the bulbs at a higher level.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com