Re: Video cabling advice needed

> Hello.  I'm looking for guidance on a project I want to do.  I am new to
> this type of thing, so I am need any tips or suggestions you have.
>
> I want to combine DVD, TiVo, satellite, and OTA antenna into one using a
> modulator.  I would have about 4 coax runs to make to TVs, each 50 feet
> or less in length.

The ChannelPlus 5545 will do the job nicely.  I've sold a fair
number of them to people with very similar needs.  The stereo
unit is good but do you *really* need stereo at each TV set.  If
the remote sets are TV only (ie, no separate speakers) the stereo
imaging isn't going to be much anyway.  Personally, I'd go with
the mono unit for remote, modulated sets and just feed stereo
from your components directly into the receiver in the main
listening room or home theater.

I carry ChannelVision, too, but I have not tried their E4200.  T
Their stuff is decent, but ChannelPlus is excellent.

With just four 50-foot runs I'd go with just the modulator.  You
shouldn't need the amplifier.

The 5545 includes integrated IR control.  All you'll need is IR
targets and emitters.

If you want the penultimate solution, there's always the
ChannelPlus  5558BID "Bi-directional RF Distribution Kit with
5-volt IR System".  The kit includes a 4-channel modulator, 8200
series bi-directional signal amplifier, three IR targets
(receivers) and two dual-head emitters.  To that you could add
one more IR target to provide IR control from all four remote
locations.

Bear in mind that if your system includes 4 viewing locations but
one of them is the primary listening room, you really only need
three channels of modulation and IR targets for the same three
locations.  The fourth location is where the equipment is and
needs no IR target or modulator.

As to blasting the IR signal, there's no need to worry.  The IR
emitters can be placed directly on the components or, if you're
the adventuresome type, inside the components.  Just watch out
for stickers that say, "opening this box voids the warranty."
Technically, such disclaimers are nonsense but you don't want to
be the one to try to prove it in court. :^)

If you need more help planning this out, give me a call.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms