Re: Finishing basement, suggestion on RG6 cable needed

>>Doesn't any modern WiFI card driver have a "5 bars" signal strength
>>display? That should be fine for experimenting with AP placement at
>>home.
>>
>>To save footwork, put the laptop in the far corner of the house and
>>move the AP around.  It doesn't need to be connected to an ethernet,
>>just a 100ft power extension cord for power. Have someone shout out
>>the signal strength.
>

> Dlink PCI cards, as part of Windows XP drivers show "bars of signal
> strength", I would think any WiFi hardware run on XP would do the same.

The SN ratio allows you to find an open channel. The neighbor's cordless
phone on channel 4 can wreak you day if you don't switch channels. And
it will come and go with use.

I've found that most 2.4 phones are bad for wireless as most are over a
few years old and many of the older one don't play nice with other devices.

Plus this program and others like it allow you do see the channels in
use by other nearby access points and you can try and avoid the stronger
ones.