Re: Detecting where a coax cable goes to

On 23 Jan 2006 07:44:31 -0800, bruno.lerer@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Robert L Bass wrote:
> > Good points, Bill.  If I were doing it I'd use my tone set and
> > finish the whole job in 10-15 minutes flat though.
>
> At the risk of appearing ignorant (yet again) - what's a tone set?

Ignorance is universal.  The only variant is the subject matter.
:^)

A tone set is a simple tool technicians se to locate wires.
There's a Tone Generator which is a simple amplifier that emits a
warbling tone into a wire.  The other part is an Inductive
Amplifier which picks up the signal and plays it through a tiny
speaker.

The tone can be heard through the sheet rock from several feet
away.  It gets louder as the inductive pickup moves closer to the
cable.  By waving it about as you walk through the house you can
find buried wires and trace them to their source.

Once when I was working in my church it was necessary to rewire
about 100 ceiling mounted theatrical lights.  Someone decided to
remove the labels from one end of all the wires.  With the help
of another member, a tone set and a pair of handheld radios we
were able to identify and reconnect all over 200 individual wires
in a few. hours.  Without that tool we'd have spent days on the
project.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass