Re: Leviton Intellisense Vs Others

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 22:37:36 GMT, Kurt Delaney wrote:
> "BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> I looked at both the UPB and Insteon product lines and found that
>> Insteon, even at this early stage has a two flavors of wall switches for
>> both dimming and non-dimming applicationsas well as the plug in modules
>> I need. They also have tabletop and wall mounted controllers. Anything
>> else I can handle with the Stargate controller. With the X10 translator
>> I can even use PalmPads for wireless remotes.  Also, look at the
>> pricing. The UPB products are 2 to 3 times more expensive than Insteon.
>> I don't want to come across as a cheerleader for Insteon but I do think
>> they have a winner. That said, if Insteon wasn't born I'd be converting
>> everything to UPB right now.
>
> 2-3X the price is a bit of a stretch.  Some quick comparisons:
>
> 600W decora dimmer (full # of scenes, full capability switch):
> Smarthome Insteon:  $40
> Worthington HAI: $52

They now sell the Icon line at $20 (US), I don't know if this is a
promotional price or therir reqular price. Just to note, the Icon line
looses some of th features of their regular line. It's not an apples
to apples comparison but sometimes people will jump to a lower price
and don't mind loosing a few features. Which is why we have X10
lasting as long as they have.

> Network reliability:
> Smarthome 2-pack SignalLink RF (recommended for all installations): $70
> Worthington Simply Automated coupler: $53

A word of caution here, theses two are not apples to apples either. My
understanding is the the coupler is passive. At least one user shared
his opinion of the coupler and in his instance it was lacking. BTW, if
I have the wrong product please let me know. I'll be sticking with
Insteon because that's what I started with.

> The only one that comes close to 2X is the lamp plugin module.  Certainly
> not 3X.  However, if Insteon seamlessly integrated with HAI's OmniPro panels
> like UPB does (the biggest plus for me, personally), I would probably use
> Insteon as well.

It looks like we'll see a little competition in the HA market. I hope
this works out for the consumers.Since X10 had no real competition
they didn't have to change (my opinion), now I won't have to think
about them. ;-)

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site