Re: Leviton Intellisense Vs Others

"BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:V2Uxf.199$eV4.171@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I looked at both the UPB and Insteon product lines and found that
> Insteon, even at this early stage has a two flavors of wall switches for
> both dimming and non-dimming applicationsas well as the plug in modules
> I need. They also have tabletop and wall mounted controllers. Anything
> else I can handle with the Stargate controller. With the X10 translator
> I can even use PalmPads for wireless remotes.  Also, look at the
> pricing. The UPB products are 2 to 3 times more expensive than Insteon.
> I don't want to come across as a cheerleader for Insteon but I do think
> they have a winner. That said, if Insteon wasn't born I'd be converting
> everything to UPB right now.

2-3X the price is a bit of a stretch.  Some quick comparisons:

600W decora dimmer (full # of scenes, full capability switch):
Smarthome Insteon:  $40
Worthington HAI: $52

Lamp plugin module:
Smarthome Insteon: $30
Worthington Simply Automated: $56

Keypad:
Smarthome Insteon: $60
Worthington Simply Automated: $79

Network reliability:
Smarthome 2-pack SignalLink RF (recommended for all installations): $70
Worthington Simply Automated coupler: $53

The only one that comes close to 2X is the lamp plugin module.  Certainly
not 3X.  However, if Insteon seamlessly integrated with HAI's OmniPro panels
like UPB does (the biggest plus for me, personally), I would probably use
Insteon as well.

Kurt