Re: ControlLinc Maxi

"BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:FZdxf.1638$sd1.252@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> In reading up on these some more it appears you made a good choice in
> spending the extra $10 for X10 only control.

Great!  Now I feel less stupid.  Originally, I thought the ControlLinc Maxi
X-10-only controller had that same limitation but digging into the PDF
manual I had to *download* it showed how to use the 10 buttons discretely.

> The one you bought allows you to control all X10 codes
> by pressing House, Unit and Command codes "on the fly"
> and has all the buttons to do it. The cheaper unit controls
> Insteon and X10 devices but only 5 units total. The X10
> buttons under the cover are used to program a House
> and Unit code to any one of the 5 channels available
> when the cover is closed so they really are two
> different products.  In fact, since I'm using an X10
> translator to control Insteon devices, I ordered one of
> these myself.

I think the ControlLinc Maxis have enormous potential for both casual and
power X-10 user alike but so far, it's failed the SAF test.   I had
concealed the two X-10 Maxi's in the nightstand drawers.  The new
ControlLinc Maxi will neither fit nor operate from the old position inside
the nightstand drawers, so for now the units sits on my desk in the den.
Unless I can conceal it in a way that preserves its open and closed
functionality, it may be an idea that's ahead of its time for my house - or
at least for bedside control.

That's too bad because it's remarkably competent in a number of ways,
particular with strings of commands and channel control operations.   Had
these babies been available 10 years ago, my X-10 numbering scheme would
probably be quite different.  What would really be nice is have some key
ControlLinc Maxi features in an X-10 Maxi footprint.

There's no need for a separate housecode keypad.  Just label keys 1-A, 2-B
etc. and have one "Housecode" key to press to use a housecode other than the
default.

Anyone who uses multiple housecodes should really consider getting one of
these.  To paraphrase AZ: "Freedom from the screwdriver at last!"

--
Bobby G.