Re: ControlLinc Maxi

news:43bd751a.1703643000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> For $29.99 you could have this equally ugly device.
>
> http://www.smarthome.com/2430.html

Great!  I paid $10 more each for something half as capable.  Color me DIM.

:-(

He who doeth not his homework getteth reamed.  IIRC I did see the 2430
device but the warning about using it with Boosterlinc steered me away.  I
realize now I should have opted for the 2430.  <sigh>  Still, the "X-10
Only" MaxiLinc is a great way to access 256 housecodes from the same
controller an solves some very serious bedside issues for me.

Still, I didn't see any reason for getting an Insteon-capable device if I
didn't need it

My next house will have CAT5 running to all the electrical loads.  No
adjoining neighbor issues, no RF interference.  Insteon looks nice but it's
still a wall-wart based technology and that has pretty low SAF.

I like the idea of ten programmable any(unit/house) buttons and appreciate
they've recessed the keys so that it's very hard to activate them
accidentally.  Nice, big area for labels - heck, it looks as if it could
pass the outrageously severe and downright merciless Mother In Law test.

They should have considered some sort of backlighting for the most important
keys.  It looks as if a label could be printed up on glow-in-the-dark
printing paper.  I have no idea where to FIND such paper, but I do clearly
remember thinking to myself when I saw it - who would ever need sheets of
glow in the dark paper!

I guess I should post my intentions to buy equipment here *before* I
actually buy something so that I don't pay more for less again.

--
Bobby G.