Re: Nokia Tablet

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 18:09:53 GMT, Dave Houston wrote:
> I went back and found my first post (May) that said they would ship late
> this year but that some features (e.g. VoIP) would not be available until
> next year. It looks like they are meeting their schedule.
>
> Neil Cherry was quite interested in this but he may be too busy with his
> book to deal with it now.

Hi guys, I am busy but I had to pop in and check what's going on (Wow
this place got busy :-). I have the Nokia and it works well, I've been
playing with it under Misterhouse and the screen is not too bad, it's
nice that it has a zoom (my eyes don't want to focus on anything that
small ;-). It works great for bathroom reading and research and has
the nice feature that as I read I can listen to internet radio
stations at the same time. I have pounded on it and the browser
crashes when it gobbles up memory. This causes the device to
reboot. AJAX does work under the browser it's just a little weird to
deal with because of the touch screen. I haven't added anything major
to the apps on the device (I did one upgrade so far). It does go to
sleep and I haven't figured out if it can wake up (I should check that
with Gaim).I have a lot more to check but I think it's a good
replacement for the Audrey, just more expensive and we'll need to port
a few apps over to it so we can remote control the N770 like we do the
Audrey.. BTW, the reboots are occuring less often with the upgrade. I
hope they also change the libraries so that the key functions can be
changed. It's a little annoying to work with the browser when certain
keys could be doing other useful things.

Battery life non-stop, 3 hours but I've run it for much longer (it
goes to sleep until the screen is touched).

Screen is very clear, taping works well (every for this very hyper
tapper).

Needs better email app, but I did get it work with Gmail.

Opera is a good browser and I've had very little trouble with sites
other than I keep getting pop-ups. Javascript works too.

Sound through the speaker is limited, switch to the headphones and get
the real sound quality.

That's all the time I've had so far. I've been busy with the book and
I added Insteon to MH (Alpha code, serial only [at this time] and you
still need Windows for Insteon/Salad Apps).

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site