Re: Rosetta progress report

<stuff snipped>

> The easiest way to build DIY boards with SMT components is with solder
> paste, a hypodermic dispenser and a toaster oven.

You've just spelled out the recipe for divorce, at least in my house.
Science projects may not involve the kitchen and I'll admit, there's good
reason for that after I burned a hole in the Formica with a pocket torch.

> The oven is overkill for the MPX4115 mod. A dental pick to hold them in
> place while tacking them with a 15W iron works quite well.

I've come to realize why I like assembling PC's from parts.  The new AMD
CPUs have 754 pins but they all slip like a greased pig into the ZIF socket.
Of course the rest of the motherboard is just crawling with lady bug sized
SMT's with more leads than a centipede has feet.  Fortunately, they rarely
require anything more complicated than replace fairly large "through the
hole" power capacitors.

Could I use the BX24-AHT (Bixtoforat?) and modify it to implement the escape
key method of all house control?  Or would it be easier to modify the TM-751
the way Dan L. did?  I was just looking at his code for the modified
transceiver and came across this block, which might offer some clue how to
handle your problem with collision detection:

"; Wait until there have been at least 4 half cycles with no received
; carrier and there have been at least 6 half cycles since the end of
; any received message (including our own).  This does not necessarily
; require any delay since the routine examines the history in the
; receive buffer.  A gap of 4 half cycles guarantees that we will not
; step on the middle of some other transmitter's message.  A gap of 3
; would be sufficient, but 4 is more symmetrical.  The 6 half cycle gap
; guarantees that we do not "tailgate," risking having our message taken
; as a repeat of some other sender's.  Another interesting possibility
; would be to wait for 7 half cycles on the first of each set of 6-spaced
; transmisions.  If all transmitters did this there would be no risk of
; synchronized collisions on any message after the first."
(c) Copyright Daniel D. Lanciani 2002

From: ftp://ftp.danlan.com/ftp.danlan.com/homeauto/x1002.txt

This stuff really makes my head hurt.  I'm going to go watch "This Old
House" to clear my poor addled brain.  I thought C-MAX was hard to follow.
I just can't make any sense of ASM files.  I feel dumb.

--
Bobby G.