Re: X10 Home Automation and Physical Security

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:12:47 -0300, Robert L Bass
<@bassburglaralarms.com> used recycled pixels to say:

>> I am new to the automation arena and have a computer security background
>> so I am thinking with my "paranoid" hat on now.
>
>Good thinking.  A little paranoia goes a long way.
>
>> Our house has a couple of external outlets for convience while doing yard
>> work and other activities. Looking to install some X10 devices and maybe a
>> security system in the future.
>>
>> Could someone with physical access potentially impact the X10 devices on
>> the inside of the house?
>
>Yes.
>
>> I am generally thinking lights and appliances but
>> also the security system if the control panel is able
>> to talk X10.
>
>***Never*** allow your security to be controlled via X10.
>There's no protection against inadvertent or deliberate acts
>which can disable your protection.
>
>> realize that they would need some kind of controller and/or laptop while
>> standing in front of our house.
>
>There are filters which can block X10 signals coming in from
>external outlets.  However, the technology is too easily breached
>to be used as an input to your security system.  As a
>convenience, you can certainly use X10 outputs from the security
>or home automation system to control non-critical services.
>Anything that is as critical as security, fire alarm, etc.,
>should not depend on X10 nor (for that matter) should X10 be the
>only means of operating anything critical.
>
>If you need help designing something, feel free to post more
>questions here or ask me directly.  I run an online store selling
>security and home automation stuff.  Email is the best way to
>reach me as I'm presently (Jan-Apr, 2006) in Brazil.

I agree with Robert about X-10 being easily breched and I'd like to
add, accidently triggered by your neighbors!!!

An added suggestion is to switch your external outlets.  In my house,
all of the external outlets are controlled by a wall switch to prevent
electricity theft and control Christmas lights, etc. from the warm
interior of the house.

Tag Line: If Islam is a religion of peace then sticks of dynamite
are only candles!