Re: Switching audio via an Ocelot and SECU's

> And I get green stamps, too!

Heh, kids today would have no idea what that means.  Remember the coupons
they used to give out with packs of cigarettes?  Fine way to involve the
whole family!

> You'd better pray your chances of getting hit by a meteor aren't equal!!!

Or by a bus while crossing the street.

> It's a danger that simply disappears with the mini-PC option because other
> manufacturers make similar boxes.  Try converting your Ocelot setup to Elk
> with just a copy of Ghost and a blank DVD-R.  When enough servers have
been
> converted from Dell and HP to VIA machines, Intel and AMD might nose into
> the waters.  VIA's been making support chips for a long, long time.  They
> have a proven track record.

It's not so much the chips as the OS running on top of them.  Often it's
just plain more reliable to have NO operating system and just run the app
itself on the bare iron.  Quite a few appliance-like devices do this.  They
end up lacking all the other doo-dads you see on an actual OS but at least
they stay running.

> With power prices up, 15 watts instead of 150 for people running multiple
> PC's isn't chump change.  The Ocelot consumes less power, true, but try
> getting it to play a DVD or pipe your front door cam to the wall LCD while
> simultaneously recording all front door activity and keeping a running log
> of all home events.

Hold on, let me juggle those knives, that bowling ball and a chainsaw!  One
foot, now HOP!

> I'm convinced from reading all the posts that I have from server operators
> that the VIA machines are pretty robust under Linux.  They even seem to be
> stable under W2KPro although I doubt I would use it.  Lots of people are
> writing drivers for the VIA boxes and there's lots of enthusiasm for them
> because they conserve so much (increasingly) expensive electricity to
> perform the same tasks nearly as well as their full-sized brothers.

Yes, I agree.

-Bill