Re: Garage door remote control constantly transmitting??

Robert L Bass wrote:
>>My condo building has a gated underground garage.  All owners have a
>>remote control to open/close the gate.  We have been having an
>>intermittent problem with the gate opening repeatedly.  That is, it
>>closes a couple of feet, the opens again.
>

> Most power gates have a sensor to detect if the gate is hitting
> an object, such as a person or car.  If there's too much
> resistance as the gate slides or swings it will reverse.
> On modern gate operators there's an adjustment to set the
> sensitivity of the sensor.  Chances are all you need to do is
> adjust it a bit.

There are two different methods for reversing an overhead door or gate
when it hits an obstruction.  They're distinctly separate.  One employs
a strip down the underside of the door/gate that causes it to reverse if
it hits something, and the other employs a resistance sensor at the
motor that accomplishes much the same thing but isn't as effective (it's
used on older model doors and most single family homes because it's
"cheaper").  A second safety device using an infrared beam detector will
prevent the door from closing if anything is parked or blocking the
beam.  Have a qualified door installer check the travel of the unit from
full open to full closed.  He'll do this with the shuttle disengaged
from the door.  Sometimes one of the rollers gets jammed which may cause
enough resistance during the closing cycle to engage the sensor or the
spring may require adjustment.  Both will cause the door to cycle as you
describe.  A stuck remote won't (at least it doesn't with my five
Craftsman openers).