Some questions from a HAI Newbie

I have picked up at a sale a Hai Omni II plus some accessories.

The price was low (an ex demo, was powered up but never used)

I had been intending of buying a new OmniLt so i know what the unit
can do.  However I have some questions.

It came with an ALC controller. I am not a mad lighting scenes
affecionado, and was thinking , instead, of using X-10 or, better
still, on reading many comments in this NG,  Insteon.
Am I right in thinking that Insteon is compatible with X-10 and thus i
can (after buying the X-10 link) use the Omni II to control an Insteon
setup? I.e. can I just put the module on ebay?

The firmware on the unit is old (the chip says 20A04-1 2.3c) can i
upgrade the firmware to via software or must I buy a new chip? ( I see
the 20A04-2 for $35). I cannot seem to find the diffeneces between
firmwares and to why I would need the upgrade.

The unit came with the serial interface card. No problems installing
it, but then must i buy PC Acess or can I move directly to weblink
(even though, after reading reports it seems that HomeSeer + Plug-in
is the way to go).

How does Homeseer (or Weblink) communicates with the unit?

Thanks