Re: Can wireless reliability be enhanced?

L. M. Rappaport <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Both Davis units were intermittent.  The "2" was rock solid until
>yesterday, then the connection was broken and the console said there
>was no received signal.  Using the console's troubleshooter indicated
>no signal at all.  Last night, it started working again.  Legally, as
>Dave said, you can replace the console's receiving antenna with
>something directional - a small yagi should do the job.  as well as a
>small dish, such as one left over from a Direct TV or Dish Network.
>You would need to change the feedhorn, but not the positioning since
>that is the focal point.  I may try to do this - if it works, you are
>welcome to copy it.  If there exists a decent 900 mhz preamp and
>assembly, I hope I'll find one and report back here.

While I haven't tried it at higher frequencies, I suspect the eggbeater
design plus a TenTec 1001 preamp will be more than adequate. You'll just
have to cut the elements and phasing line for the frequency Davis uses. The
loops would be about 12" circumference or a bit over 3" diameter.

Jeff Volp has a copy of my CM15A replacement antenna page at...

     http://jeffvolp.home.att.net/bx24-aht/eggbeater.pdf