Re: Can wireless reliability be enhanced?

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:33:11 -0800, "Ken Gibson"
<jayel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote (with possible editing):

>I have found wireless communication to be unreliable.  The wireless links
>for my Davis Vantage Pro weather station, Radio Shack security system and
>Motorola telephone and intercom are all intermittent.  They are all within
>the specified range and have no metal to shield the communication.  I'm not
>surprised by the Radio Shack wireless link because it is inexpensive.  I
>plan to replace the Davis wireless link with a wire if possible.

While it won't help initially, I share the same problem with the
Davis.  I have two of them - a Davis VP and a Davis VP Pro 2.  Both
operate in the 900 mhz band, the "2" uses spread spectrum.  Both use
simple portable radio type antennae.  It will be extremely difficult
to replace the radios with a wire connection as they are in separate
buildings and the conduit connecting them is almost impossible to
access.

Both Davis units were intermittent.  The "2" was rock solid until
yesterday, then the connection was broken and the console said there
was no received signal.  Using the console's troubleshooter indicated
no signal at all.  Last night, it started working again.  Legally, as
Dave said, you can replace the console's receiving antenna with
something directional - a small yagi should do the job.  as well as a
small dish, such as one left over from a Direct TV or Dish Network.
You would need to change the feedhorn, but not the positioning since
that is the focal point.  I may try to do this - if it works, you are
welcome to copy it.  If there exists a decent 900 mhz preamp and
assembly, I hope I'll find one and report back here.

--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com