Re: Strain gauge

On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:06:41 -0500, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<6cKdndGakY8K52nenZ2dnUVZ_vydnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>Has anyone here ever mounted strain gauges on basement jacking posts to
>measure the load changes of the floor supported by the posts?

What would be the purpose? In other words, what would you do with the
information? The amount of flexing is only indirectly related to potential
beam failure so displacement data alone wouldn't tell you much.

Vibration data (displacement changing at moderate frequencies) are readily
obtained with your very own, built-in human sensors -- no electronics
needed.

We have 180-year-old floor joists that some $%#@ local yokel electrician cut
half-way through, in the middle, from the bottom to install electric oven
and AC wiring in the early 1980's.  Solution to flexing of the floor was to
repair the joists. When we moved in a 900 lb table to the dining room, the
solution was to add support in the crawl space. In other words, 'assess and
address' -- no 'monitoring' needed.

My 2 cents ... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org