Re: Insteon vs UPB vs Zwave

> Looking for some thoughts here.  We want to have a central controller like
> the HAI we have now, and not a PC in a new home we going to be building.  We
> don't want to go to Centralite due to dependence on a single vendor and non
> standard wiring. Ditto for single vendor on ALC, and HAI seems to be
> downplaying them in favor of UPB products.

That's apparently due to (1) the higher cost; and (2) the greater
difficulty retrofitting existing homes with ALC.

> I've done X-10 for years, and understand ALL of its issues.  Is UPB that
> much better?  Also worried about the long term success of Zwave without a
> controller like Elk or HAI supporting it directly.  I've read the Insteon
> white paper.  While lower cost, like Zwave I don't see a controller really
> stepping up to support it either, except a PC.  Not stuck on HAI either and
> am willing to look at others like the Elk.

ELK M1Gold does support Z-Wave.  HAL says they support it, too.
Numerous other manufacturers are developing Z-Wave compatible
controls, interfaces, thermostats, lighting controls (of course)
and so forth.  I doubt you'll have problems with long-term
support of Z-Wave.  It's at least as likely and probably much
more likely to survive than many of the other protocols.

FWIW, crass salesman though I may be, I've no current interest or
investment in Z-Wave other than plans to use it in my own home.
I do have an interest in ELK Products since I'm an ELK dealer.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large
groups.