Re: PC device control vs hand held or wall mount remote

> I would like to control a few lights and motorized window shades via the
PC
> controlling the network.

Look at Lutron's RadioRA devices.  They may ones that'll do window blinds.
The Lutron stuff's expensive but it WORKS.  Every time.  X10 is unreliable,
at best.  Some get it work, most have nothing but on-going problems with it.
Roll the cost of the automation stuff into whatever you finance so you don't
fixate on the cost.

> What is required to control these devices directly by computer?

Numerous solution abound.  Two popular choice for Windows are Charmed Quark
and Homeseer.  Search for them.

> I'm not opposed to a hardwired solution but this does not seem to be in
the
> mainstream of home automation.

Yeah, hardwired lighting control is great but it's not cheap and it's not
usually all that 'open' to interfacing without being complex or expensive.
Yes, it can be done but few chose to go that route.

There's also Control4, based on the emerging zigbee standards, but I have no
idea how well it works, nor has there been any real chatter online about it.
Given it's pedigree I'd venture the market's holding back.

-Bill Kearney