Re: Running IR via Cat5

<jv.davis@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1138974171.931760.176420@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> How can I extend an IR signal across CAT5?  What type of connectors are
> needed to connect the 3.5 mini cable to CAT5?  I am installing an IPOD
> in remote location from AV Receiver and will use IR to control the AV
> remotely.

The AVS Forum files:

http://www.aracnet.com/~nwolff/theater/wiring.html

Turned up this message:

---------
I have 4 IR receivers all hooked together all over the house running through
the spare phone wires. (I ran my phones on CAT5 through the house) You can
run IR over 200' on CAT5.

The three wires used are +12V, -12V and Signal. I built my own breakout
cables to convert the miniplug into the phone jack. took about 20 minutes
and the sacrifice of some DSL filters (I needed only one and they sent 5
:) )

You can check out pictures here:
http://www.aracnet.com/~nwolff/theater/wiring.html

------

It's got lots of pictures of exactly what you want to do and one of the most
interesting wiring diagrams I've seen in a while

--
Bobby G.