Re: Strain gauge

"Robert L Bass" <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1bu402p1vtjfrd9vcg1acd3o9iq5eec5qg@xxxxxxxxxx
> > No, that is not how they work.  The resistance changes when the
> > Pulsor is stressed.  It remains changed as long as the stressing
> > force is applied.  The detection of (only) a moving load is entirely
> > a function of the processor electronics.
>
> After posting that I called an old friend who worked with me
> years ago and asked about that.  You are correct.  My bad.

I did some more web searching and found that the sensors are pretty
expensive - one mailing list suggested $100 each for a sensor and a
processing board.  That's more than I wanted to spend per sensor.

http://www.sureaction.com/pulsor.htm

doesn't mention price either.  I've found that's never a sign of low prices.

I want to use something like the strain gauge they use in electronic
bathroom scales.  The Pulsor seems to work using a longitudinal sensor glued
to a joist that can detect deflection.  I would rather have a sensor that
reported a change in resistance as it experienced an increase or decrease
from the "setup" load.  Since I am refinishing a section of the basement, I
want to mount some sensors in various locations so that I can detect
increasing static loads on parts of the support structure.

--
Bobby G.