Re: Whole house audio - Nuvo or ChannelPlus?

William at MyBlueRoom wrote:

> So for a 6 zone budget system
> $90+180+$90*6+$49*6 = $1104

Without the rebates (usually limited to one per address) and refurbs I
come up with $90+$200+$115*6+$70*6=$1400 Still a nice price, certainly
not as nice a system as with the Squeezeboxes($2210).

The user still needs a PC to rip with and the knowledge and patience to
do so.

> Can you expand a zoned system beyond it's 6 hardwired zones?

Most can easily be expanded 2x with the use of simple Y cables on the
inputs. So a 6 zone becomes a 12 zone adding another 6 zone "box",
speakers and controls. Sources can be shared with the Y cables or some
inputs can be only available on 1/2 of the outputs. Sometimes a handy
"feature".

> Is there a wireless option?

No. Unless you really want to run the cost up by using using some custom
RF "modification".

> PS www.shoutcast.com has thousands of free streams, and so do many
> AM/FM stations.

I have not seen any as easy to use as car radio which is how many zoned
systems work. Channel up, channel down and presets. Local news and
sports. Synchronous TV audio in the kitchen, bathroom and everywhere
else on game day. People LOVE it.

Until realtime analog inputs are worked out (at a reasonable price) it
will be difficult to convince most non computer oriented people to go
with networked digital players. I was very excited about building a AV
distribution system based one MP115 per zone. The cost savings over a
traditional matrix switch based system is HUGE. When I showed it to
potential users their FIRST question was "how do I watch live TV?".
Since I usually watch stored video that was not a concern for me but
most people still watch some their crappy "reality" TV in realtime with
the ads. Go figure...