Re: X10 signals can be TOO strong!

The inductor in series with the load is there to limit di/dt.  It was
probably required by the FCC to reduce EMI.

I think this is all starting to make sense.  The highest di/dt transition is
when there is a heavy load and the conduction angle for the triac is ~4.16
ms in from the zero crossing (50% dim).  This high current pulse must have
coupled back into a high impedance node (either the zero crossing detector,
or the XTAL input pin on the uP).  Either way, the altered timing caused
abnormal conduction angles which showed up as flicker.

Increasing the value of the inductor attenuates the signal enough to
alleviate the symptom.

Alan