Re: How to turn on a light across a room without a wire?

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 01:59:25 -0500, E. Lee Dickinson wrote:

> <callmevlad@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>I live in an apartment (so messing with the in-wall fixtures is out of
>> the question), and I have 2 lamps in my living room.  One of the lamps
>> is controlled by a switch on one side of the room ... flip the switch,
>> and there's light.  The other one, however, we have to turn on by hand
>> because it's across the room and there is no way to wire the two lamps
>> to be on the same outlet.
>>
>> Is there a solution out there which will help me set it up so that the
>> light switch I have now (I don't want to add another switch) can
>> control both lights?
>
> That's a much better question. :)
>
> Purchase an Insteon switch from www.smarthome.com , also purchase an
> insteon lamp module. The lamp module plugs between your remote-controlled
> lamp and the wall. Set them both to the same address; turn off the wall
> switch, the remote lamp (and the one connected to the wall switch) go
> out. Bonus: You now have a dimmer in line with the lamps.

He specifically stated he did not wish to do any rewiring (like replacing
the in-wall switch).

This one area where "X-10 is not for newbies or apartment dwellers"
doesn't apply.

For that one lamp using a TM751 or RR501 and a remote will at least give
non-local control of the remote lamp -- but not simultaneous control of
both. Using a pair of transceivers and a "stick-a-switch" would allow
controlling both lamps at the same time (but not include dimming) without
worrying about rewiring or possible "different phase" issues with the
outlets.

If he can somehow verify that the outlets are on the same phase then a
single transceiver and a pair of lamp modules would allow control and
dimming.

Lamp modules are cheap so I would suggest at least trying that. Buy 2 lamp
modules, a TM751, and a cheap key-chain remote or a stick-a-switch and see
if it works. If not then just buy another TM751 to get to the other phase.

Jump on EBay and search for:

LM465
TM751
SS13A
KR19A

The TM751 defaults to unit code 1 and comes set to house code A. Set both
lamp modules to unit code 2 (for now, to avoid having to re-program the
remote controls).

Plug the TM751 into an outlet. You probably won't be able to plug the
TM751 AND a lamp module into the same outlet (both are "bricks") but you
NEED to for testing. Use an extension cord for now.

Plug the lamp modules into both outlets for the lamps and plug the lamps
into the lamp modules. Push the "2-ON" button on the remote and see if it
works. Make sure the switch for the "main lamp" is ON -- if it works with
the two lamp modules then put a piece of tape over that switch so it just
stays ON all the time.

If it DID work then unplug the extension cord and stick the TM751 into
another outlet and try it again. If it DOESN'T work now then keep moving
the TM751 around until it DOES. You are trying to find an outlet that is
on the same electrical "phase" as the outlets the lamps are plugged into.

If it works only one lamp at a time then you will have to get another TM751
to get to the other "phase" of the electric circuit. If you have to do
this and you might possibly use the appliance module built into the
transceiver then you should probably get an RR501 as one of them so it can
be set to a different unit code (1 or 9). The TM751 is always unit code "1".

If you bought the SS13A just stick it beside the regular switch so people
can use that. The KR19A is handy for turning on lights before you open the
front door. I turn on my living room light as I pull in the driveway at
night. A KR22A may have slightly better range.

Working as an industrial electrician I saw some REALLY horrid apartment
wiring so you should probably stay simple (eg. just those couple of
lights). But if you're willing to play with it a bit you should be able to
control a few other lights as well. Plus, depending on where you plug in
the TM751 you can use it to control an appliance or another lamp (ON/OFF
only, no dimming). I have an appliance module controlling my coffee pot so
I can turn it on when I wake up rather than using a timer to turn it on (I
wake up at different times due to a screwy work schedule).

When you have it working with the default settings you should probably
change the HOUSE CODE to something other than "A" just in case there is
another apartment dweller using X-10 who has left theirs at the default.
You have to reprogram the remotes when you do that so leave it at "A" for
testing as that is the default for everything.

You should be able to get all the parts for under USD $40 on EBay.

Gerald