Re: How to turn on a light across a room without a wire?

callmevlad@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>I live in an apartment (so messing with the in-wall fixtures is out of
>the question), and I have 2 lamps in my living room.  One of the lamps
>is controlled by a switch on one side of the room ... flip the switch,
>and there's light.  The other one, however, we have to turn on by hand
>because it's across the room and there is no way to wire the two lamps
>to be on the same outlet.
>
>Is there a solution out there which will help me set it up so that the
>light switch I have now (I don't want to add another switch) can
>control both lights?
>
>Is there a gadget that will hook up to the outlet which is currently
>controlled by the wall switch (between the outlet and the lamp), and
>somehow send a signal (either via IR or the power lines) to another
>"gadget" that is set up between the second lamp and an always-on
>outlet? This way, when I flip the switch, both lights come on.
>
>Anyone have any suggestions? I'm a newbie at this stuff, so any
>pointers will be appreciated.

That's really tough. Since you can't change the switch or outlet and
probably cannot put holes in the ceiling, the methods suggested will not
work.

Anything you use in the switched outlet will lose power when the outlet is
switched off. You might be able to modify a plug-in emergency light (one
that operates off of a battery when the 120V power is off) to send an RF
signal (using a modified keychain remote) to an RF controlled lamp module
into which the other lamp is plugged. GE Smarthome offers some inexpensive
RF controlled modules.

http://davehouston.net