Re: Dedicated Z-wave sites?

"Dean Roddey" <droddey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>It's no problem if the IP stacks in a light switch couldn't do media. That's
>not a problem. It's just important that the light switches could be on the
>same ethernet data backbone as the rest of the system. The main LAN can
>handle the heavy lifting. But if you could have a single data backbone for
>everything, that would be optimal to me. The light switches themselves
>wouldn't necessarily need to be IP based. They could still be some
>proprietary wireless type of protocol to keep them cheap, but with multiple
>transmitters hanging off the ethernet network. Though, if it was financially
>feasible to just directly make them IP capable, there could be something
>said for that.

That bolsters the case for Homeplug. Their 2000Mbps Homeplug AV can do the
media and the new (slower) Homeplug Command & Control can do the rest.

     http://www.itrancomm.com/pr2006_03_06_Homeplug.htm

I don't know but suspect HPCC will be competitive in price with Z-Wave, UPB
and maybe even Insteon. It will work worldwide and is retrofittable so the
size of the market should help with economies of scale.

http://davehouston.net