Re: Doggie doors

I had one for cats actually.  Is used a magnet on the collar to unlock
the door.

After about a month, I took off the magnets, and modified the door so
the magnet wasn't needed.

It wasn't that it didn't work, it was the magnet was a hassle!  I'd find
all kinds of stuff stuck to the magnets that the cats had found in their
"adventures", like paper clips, metal filings, etc!  Also, I found that
the metal food bowls I had presented a "challenge" and couldn't be
used...  The cat would stick to the food bowl, and knock it over!

I've seen a version that used RF or IR (can't remember).  It was a bit
more expensive (and larger on the collar) and might be good for dogs,
but appeared too large for cats.