Re: Smarthome PowerLinc 1132B frequent failures

"random735" <random735@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> not sure if i was one of the two or not (can't remember what i posted
> re: this problem) but I did also have a 1132B fail on me, after it had
> been hooked up to an XTB for some period of time.  I have no way of
> knowing if the XTB had anything to do with it or not.  got it replaced
> under warranty by smarthome but since then i haven't hooked up the new
> one up to my XTB out of fear something about the signal boosting was
> harming the module.

I do have your order, but can't find any report from you regarding the
1132B.

Actually, the XTB-II pretty much isolates the X10 transmitter from the
powerline.  AC coming into the XTB is clamped by a MOV, and is provided to
the X10 input recepacle through a damped low-pass filter.  That should
prevent any transients from getting through.  The return signal amplifier is
clamped with schottky diodes to less than 1 Vpp, so that certainly couldn't
be a problem.  The XTB does put about a 25 ohm load on the transmitter at
120 KHz, but the TW523 spec says it tested with a 5 ohm load.  The XTB
should be a very benign load to whatever is plugged into the X10 input
receptacle.

The only reason I suggest not pairing the XTB and 1132B is that two people
did report commands were not getting through.  However the 1132B did work
when plugged directly into the wall.  The XTB worked fine when they
substituted the standard X10 interface for the 1132B.  I never heard
anything else from either of these people.

Jeff