Re: zoned or not zoned?? thermostatic control of multiple spaces

"Lighthouse" <gruntledlark@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> thanks for the idea Lee, but the system is hot water. as far as i know
> there are no controls on hte indivdual baseboard radiators.

:scratches head: How on earth did I do that, and even write 'boiler' a
number of times in my post? The extent of my experience with hot water heat
is the in-floor radiant at my parent's house, and one time sitting on a
radiator and startling myself.

Now that I am free from any expectation of an intelligent post on the
subject, I will pontificate.

Solenoid valves in place of duct dampers? That would assume the apartment
systems are in parallel instead of series. Not likely, as Bill mentioned, in
a retrofit.

If they're curently in series, could a shunt to bypass the radiators be
possible? I doubt that unless they're ground floor with exposed basement.

What about just putting the thermostats in series? This would be the most
energy effecient -- coldest-set thermostat wins.