PC Driven MP3 Players

I currently have a whole house audio distribution setup that works but has
some problems so I'm looking to see if anyone has any ideas on a better
solution.

The amplifier itself is a Channel Plus MDS-6 that takes up to six
line-level inputs.  All of my music (MP3 files) is stored on a dedicated PC
and I have four Slim Devices SLIMP3 units connected via ethernet to the
PC.  Each SLIMP3 then drives one of the MDS-6 inputs.  I've been thinking
about expanding things to take advantage of the other two MDS-6 inputs but,
rather than pick up more of the Slim Devices units, I'm wondering if there are
now better alternatives - preferably a solution that does not involve adding
additional traffic on my ethernet.

What I'm looking for is something that I can feed music data from the PC that
will then turn around and drive the line-level inputs of the MDS-6.  Further,
the MP3 decoding would probably need to be done externally to the PC as
decoding six separate audio streams would probably tax the capabilities of the
(older vintage) PC.  I know that there are now USB based devices but the ones
I've looked at appear to be standalone units; I'm not sure I could add
additional copies and have them all work independently.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear about them.  A solid, reliable
solution is more important to me than cost.

Thanks,
Dave