Re: building a new home

hey man thanks for responding :)

> CQC doesn't do VR yet. Frankly, I don't think the technology is mature
> enough to warrant widespread usage.

Ive played around a fair bit with homeseer, even went as far as tying
my jabra bt250v into  it via bluetooth.  Worked exceptionally well but
would cut out from time to time, so like you said its a very buggy
software.

> > (3) I want to have wired contacts on all doors/windows, what is the
> > best contacts/controller for this?
>
> For wired contacts/sensors, I got the bag o'magnetic reed switches from
> toymaster (www.kanak.com) - something like $2.50/each, cheaper by the dozen.
> Running to an Elk M1G, basic switches are all you need.

sweet the elk m1g looks good, any advice on setting it up? you did via
serial i take it? or did u do serial -> usb?

> > (6) Entertainment.  Would you do big ass dvd changer/player or big ole
> > computer that has all the movies on it?
> Depends on # of concurrent streams you want, and # of DVDs you got. I was
> looking for a Sony 777ES serial controlled changer, they all seem to be gone
> by now as they're discontinued and replaced with the firewire ones. I
> currently have 2.5TB in space, but there's tons of heat/noise issues, plus
> the power suck. I can get multiple concurrent streams, but if I had to do it
> all over again, i'd just get a megachanger.

well im figuring capacity for 500 dvd/movies, satellite feed and the
ability to monitor via multiplexor all the cctvs in the house.

(how many channel multiplexor can one get i wonder?, figure ill have 10
cameras or so in the house).

you went pc with 2.5tb?

yea i think megachanger in the noc will be the best bet.

> > (6) Entertainment. controlling tv/radio/dvd/etc...Im thinking pda or
> > touchscreen?
> >
> > (7) touchscreens in each vital room.
>
> For both of these, I love my Fujitsu 3400.  PDA is just waaaay too small for
> anything reasonable inside the home. Plus, the 3400 is only $160, and can
> run the CQC viewer natively, no RDP or dot-net-viewer needed. Pics are here.

yea i figure thats what ill do, i will be doing lcd framed monitors
that change artwork based upon the rfid tag it detects when I/family
enter the room.

http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1012&highlight=wallmounted