Re: building a new home

Answering that which I know. I don't do RFID or X10, so i'll refrain from
giving you my uninformed opinion.

"cj" <nospam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> heya guys,
>
> (1) Im also thinking about using acoustic magic microphones for home
> automation (IVB can CQC do voice commands?)

CQC doesn't do VR yet. Frankly, I don't think the technology is mature
enough to warrant widespread usage.

> (3) I want to have wired contacts on all doors/windows, what is the
> best contacts/controller for this?

For wired contacts/sensors, I got the bag o'magnetic reed switches from
toymaster (www.kanak.com) - something like $2.50/each, cheaper by the dozen.
Running to an Elk M1G, basic switches are all you need.

> (6) Entertainment.  Would you do big ass dvd changer/player or big ole
> computer that has all the movies on it?
Depends on # of concurrent streams you want, and # of DVDs you got. I was
looking for a Sony 777ES serial controlled changer, they all seem to be gone
by now as they're discontinued and replaced with the firewire ones. I
currently have 2.5TB in space, but there's tons of heat/noise issues, plus
the power suck. I can get multiple concurrent streams, but if I had to do it
all over again, i'd just get a megachanger.

> (6) Entertainment. controlling tv/radio/dvd/etc...Im thinking pda or
> touchscreen?
>
> (7) touchscreens in each vital room.

For both of these, I love my Fujitsu 3400.  PDA is just waaaay too small for
anything reasonable inside the home. Plus, the 3400 is only $160, and can
run the CQC viewer natively, no RDP or dot-net-viewer needed. Pics are here.
http://www.charmedquark.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=1012&highlight=wallmounted