Re: Frustration with X10 Powermid

The Powermids use 418MHz RF which is by and large unused except by other
remote extender devices like the Powermid. The IR receiver has a grounded
metallic shroud. RF interference is one of the least likely explanations
except for strong local sources near the 38kHz IR carrier frequency. A
nearby TV (as Bobby Green suggested) is one possible source - harmonics from
its horizontal sweep are the source.

There's a whitepaper from Vishay that lists some possible IR noise sources.

     http://www.vishay.com/docs/fmod_disturbance_sources.pdf

This online store carries several brands of IR extenders. They rate the
Powermid as range champ and also give it highest marks for overall
performance. BTW, they tested in an environment with lots of RF.

     http://www.mytvstore.com/product_id_007.html