Re: Phone wire central connection

> I wasn't aware of "bridge clips".  Being unfamiliar with
> the punch down blocks, my impression was of a series
> of parallel strips with multiple wire punch down points on
> each strip.  I obviously need to get better informed as to
> exactly what they are, and can do, before making a
> decision.

Punch blocks come in several flavors.  66 blocks (primarily used for telephone
rather than data) can be had with 50 rows (ie, 25 pairs).  The rows consist
either of 6 pins, all connected, 1 free pin next to 5 connected pins or two
groups of 4 pins.  The so-called split blocks use bridging clips, which are
simple metal spring clips to connect them together.

Most of the time data blocks are of the 110 variety.  These are more densely
packed than the 66 to maintain CAT5 or greater standards.  Conventional 66
blocks are typically rated for CAT3 (telco stuff).

All of these devices require a punch tool to make the connections and cut off
excess wire.  There are different heads for punching 66 and 110 type blocks.
Also, the heads are usually reversible.  One side punches down and cuts the
excess whereas the other side punches down the wire but leaves the free end
connected.  This is usually used for multiplying telco connections to more than
one row.

The following link takes you to a page that discusses 66 and 110 blocks at
length.  There are lots of close-up photos and explanations of several different
wiring schemes.

http://www.homephonewiring.com/blocks.html

Here are tutorials in PDF from Leviton, one of the larger manufacturers of 66
and 110 blocks, as well as lots of other cool stuff.

http://www.levitonvoicedata.com/support/documents/applicationnotes/W220%20_110%20Termination.pdf
http://www.siemon.com/int/download/installation_instructions/us/66_S66M1-50_ii.pdf

Hope this helps.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.