Re: Help for the Cat shelter

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C65AFB.77978E30

"Jim Baber" <jim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in ...
>    I am looking for an inexpensive solution to controlling the output=20
> of 1500 Watt oil filled heaters in six 400 sq. ft. outbuildings.  Each =

> of these buildings provides shelter for 50 to 100 domestic cats that=20
> this no kill animal shelter supports.  The intent is to maintain each=20
> building's temperatures at a minimum of 45  to 50 degrees.  (cats do=20
> have fur coats!)

There a tons of thermostats for external heaters.=20
Here are a few"=20
www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=3D1611716538=

www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=3D1611632361=

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalValue=3Dh=
eater+thermostat&L2=3DBaseboard+Heater&operator=3DprodIndexRefinementSear=
ch&L1=3DThermostats%2C

Here are a couple more search pages grom Grainger that have many more to =
look through:
www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalValue=3Dheater+t=
hermostat&operator=3DviewAllResultsSearch&searchIndexId=3D0

www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalValue=3Dheater+t=
hermostat&L2=3DHeater&operator=3DprodIndexRefinementSearch&L1=3DThermosta=
ts%2C

Sounds like your group chose the least efficient method to do this. =20
Those heaters will create a warm column that moves the heat to the =
ceiling or requires fans to distribute the heat which will create a wind =
chill effect that hurts the heating effort.

If you had it to do over, I would recommend what a friend of mine did =
(large garage where he works on things in the winter).  He had tubes =
embedded in the concrete floor and connects a propane powered water =
heater to the lines. =20

You might be able to talk a contractor or home repair dealer into =
donating the tubing like people use for in floor use and embed it in a =
gout layout under the cat cage area.  That way all the heat heads for =
the cats first. and the average temperature can be lower.

An alternative would be to use the electric mats sold for floor heating =
with something over them so that dirt and water from the cats doesn't =
land directly on the heater.

--=20
Bill Fuhrmann

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C65AFB.77978E30

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-15">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>"Jim Baber" &lt;</FONT><A =
href=3D"mailto:jim@xxxxxxxxx";><FONT=20
size=3D2>jim@xxxxxxxxx</FONT></A><FONT size=3D2>&gt; wrote in =
...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am looking for an =
inexpensive=20
solution to controlling the output <BR>&gt; of 1500 Watt oil filled =
heaters in=20
six 400 sq. ft. outbuildings.&nbsp; Each <BR>&gt; of these buildings =
provides=20
shelter for 50 to 100 domestic cats that <BR>&gt; this no kill animal =
shelter=20
supports.&nbsp; The intent is to maintain each <BR>&gt; building's =
temperatures=20
at a minimum of 45&nbsp; to 50 degrees.&nbsp; (cats do <BR>&gt; have fur =

coats!)<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>There a tons of thermostats for external heaters.=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Here are a&nbsp;few" </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?Item=
Id=3D1611716538">www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?It=
emId=3D1611716538</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?Item=
Id=3D1611632361"><FONT=20
size=3D2>www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/itemDetailsRender.shtml?ItemId=3D1=
611632361</FONT></A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalV=
alue=3Dheater+thermostat&amp;L2=3DBaseboard+Heater&amp;operator=3DprodInd=
exRefinementSearch&amp;L1=3DThermostats%2C">http://www.grainger.com/Grain=
ger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalValue=3Dheater+thermostat&amp;L2=3DBas=
eboard+Heater&amp;operator=3DprodIndexRefinementSearch&amp;L1=3DThermosta=
ts%2C</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Here are a couple more search pages grom Grainger =
that have=20
many more to look through:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalV=
alue=3Dheater+thermostat&amp;operator=3DviewAllResultsSearch&amp;searchIn=
dexId=3D0">www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalValue=
=3Dheater+thermostat&amp;operator=3DviewAllResultsSearch&amp;searchIndexI=
d=3D0</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?originalV=
alue=3Dheater+thermostat&amp;L2=3DHeater&amp;operator=3DprodIndexRefineme=
ntSearch&amp;L1=3DThermostats%2C">www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIn=
dex.shtml?originalValue=3Dheater+thermostat&amp;L2=3DHeater&amp;operator=3D=
prodIndexRefinementSearch&amp;L1=3DThermostats%2C</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Sounds like your group chose the least efficient =
method to do=20
this.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Those heaters will create a warm column that moves =
the heat to=20
the ceiling or requires fans to distribute the heat which will create a =
wind=20
chill effect that hurts the heating effort.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If you had it to do over, I would recommend what a =
friend of=20
mine did (large garage where he works on things in the winter).&nbsp; He =
had=20
tubes embedded in the concrete floor and connects a propane powered =
water heater=20
to the lines.&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>You might be able to talk a contractor or home =
repair dealer=20
into donating the tubing like people use for in floor use and embed it =
in a gout=20
layout under the cat cage area.&nbsp; That way all the heat heads for =
the cats=20
first. and the average temperature can be lower.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>An alternative would be to use the electric mats =
sold for=20
floor heating with something over them so that dirt and water from the =
cats=20
doesn't land directly on the heater.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><FONT size=3D2>-- <BR>Bill =
Fuhrmann<BR></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C65AFB.77978E30--