Re: Help for the Cat shelter

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 10:59:11 -0500, "B Fuhrmann"
<b-fuhrmann-usenet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Sounds like your group chose the least efficient method to do this. =20
>Those heaters will create a warm column that moves the heat to the =
>ceiling or requires fans to distribute the heat which will create a wind =
>chill effect that hurts the heating effort.
>
>If you had it to do over, I would recommend what a friend of mine did =
>(large garage where he works on things in the winter).  He had tubes =
>embedded in the concrete floor and connects a propane powered water =
>heater to the lines. =20
>
>You might be able to talk a contractor or home repair dealer into =
>donating the tubing like people use for in floor use and embed it in a =
>gout layout under the cat cage area.  That way all the heat heads for =
>the cats first. and the average temperature can be lower.
>
>An alternative would be to use the electric mats sold for floor heating =
>with something over them so that dirt and water from the cats doesn't =
>land directly on the heater.

Large heated platforms made from 4x8 plywood and foam insulation
could be made for the cats to lay on. Warm air/water could be
circulated under the platform to keep it warm for the cats to lay
on. Would make an interesting project for grade school science
class projects or competetion to design one costing less than
$50 in parts.