Thermostat status

In thinking about what I want to do with my new HA system, querying the
thermostat as to it's current status, A/C system is running or not
running, seemed like an obvious and trivial question.  Also actions
like "turn on/off timer-1" to obtain time intervals also seemed like a
natural request.  It appears the major players in this field don't
agree.  A "communicating thermostat" that can't even communicate it's
current state certainly doesn't fit my definition of communication. Are
there solutions for accomplishing these tasks?

Thanks
Dennis