Re: Insteon - WOW

none wrote:
> Regarding the light that will turn on, but not off. This could be powerline
> interference from the light itself and it might need a filter.
>
> Despite some of the great things about Insteon, it can still suceptible to
> powerline interference like X10. I have one device in my house (Tilia
> Foodsaver) that when plugged in will almost completely kill Insteon
> throughout the entire house (just has to be plugged in, not even running)..
>
> Secondly, you mention two SignalLincs, but you didn't say if they were on
> separate power phases (fast blink vs. slow blink on the test mode as
> described in the instructions) (something to check, the panel they are on
> doesn't matter, it is the power phase that matters). As someone else
> mentioned, additional SignaLincs are great because you can add them
> anywhere.
>
> Also, it has been reported that Insteon needs a certain number of devices to
> reach critical mass. I found that in my house, with a few devices it was
> 100% reliable, then as I added more devices it got less reliable (probably
> the powerline two way signal sucking problem), but as I added even more
> devices it got reliable again.
>
> Also, on the software side, most of the software I've seen is only beta
> quality. Even the best (PowerHome) has problems (many due to SmartHome's
> Device Manager software). But, it's getting better. :)

In an unusual move for me, I read the instructions before installing
this stuff and the signalinc's are on different phases ;-)

I think "beta quality" is a very kind description of the HA software
I've used.

Thanks for the inputs! (and to BruceR for his input re: using multiple
Signalincs -- both great inputs)

Mitch