Re: Running Audio Over Home Network

"BrianEWilliams" <sorry_no_email@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
>Doing a little research made me realize I couldn't share a remote
>CD-ROM drive and play the story through a computer in his bedroom
>controlled remotely via VNC, so it's on to plan B.

That's (the?) one thing that remote desktop did right...
they do sound.  Suprised the heck out of me once.
If you have XP on the kid's computer, I believe you can remote it.
(which also locks it locally... although i think you can unlock
locally if you know password of the logged in account.)

Along the lines of your original suggestion using VNC:
1: Log on to your account on the kids computer.
2: Start playback of ripped MP3 of the story.
3: Lock computer.
(all remotely of course)

Saves making the specialty cables.

--