Re: Inject text alerts into a CATV system

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 05:06:28 -0400, "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I am beginning to like Lewis G's speaker suggestion.  It ties in with a
> whole house audio system I've been envisioning for my folks.  It's still in
> the planning stage because I'd like to incorporate VR into the system so it
> could query my Dad to make sure he's taken his meds, locked the door, etc.
> He's getting very forgetful as he ages, far more so than Mom.  Right now the
> plan is to have dedicated "microphone stations" at the front door, the
> kitchen, the bathroom and the bedroom.

Lewis' idea sounds like a good solution.  You could implement this using a
DoorFon as the front end if you like.  It replaces the doorbell button with what
looks like a door intercom station.  When the button is pressed the inside
phones ring and a relay is thrown.  Use the relay to interrupt the audio.  The
telephone ring sounds different from a normal call.  Add a separate ring sensor
to throw another relay and he won't miss incoming calls either.

A $25 timer (or an Ocelot or an ELK Magic Module if you prefer) can keep the TV
/ stereo muted for a preprogrammed time.  Better and cheaper still, a latching
DPDT relay can keep it muted until dad hits a button.  Now he can hear incoming
calls and the doorbell.  Whether he will actually answer them remains to be seen
though at least the doorbell sound will be distinguished from a phone call.

The DoorFon relay can trigger his existing doorbell sound as well as mute the TV
and ring the phone if you like.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.