Re: 1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly

Marc F Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 20:39:07 +0000 (UTC), Byron Hynes
> <bph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> <50cb70804083b8c8303b6f56560c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> I think you have two choices:
>>  1. Purchase an engineered set of matching products, such as those
>> in the links below; or
>>  2. Build your own.
>>
>> In order to do #2, you will need to understand more about the 1-wire
>> protocol and wiring options than you seem to do at present. Have you
>> read all of the appnotes and forum posts at the Dallas/Maxim site?
>>
>> I have four temperature sensors (DS18s20) currently logging using
>> this:
> http://www.electronickits.com/kit/complete/meas/ck110.htm
>>

>>> The problem is that
>>> http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=108
>>> implys that you cant just add a swag of 1820s in parallel to
>>> http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1503

> Here's a third, choice that solves the multiple string problem.
> This assembled board is available for ~$55 via PayPal from Dr. Peter
> Anderson

> http://www.phanderson.com/iom135.html

> I have one and can recommend.

Trouble is that it isnt USB.

> It is designed to read and control *eight* strings ("runs") of 1-wire
> temperature,

And it must be possible to do a USB/1-wire converter that operates the same
way.

> dual 32-bit counters and  quad-input 12-bit analog input devices.

Dont need those. And it makes more sense in my
situation to use 1-wire devices for that sort of stuff.

> Nothing else comes close to the versatility and low cost

Thats arguable given that a USB/1-wire converter that can
drive a string of 1820s should cost about $30 fully assembled.

> -- and for a good cause (helps Dr Anderson's students).
> Dr Anderson also sells many other devices including a
> USB -> RS-232 converter if you need it.
> www.phanderson.com

Yeah, I've used him in the past, just doesnt have what I need in this case.