Re: RF white paper

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>It's interesting to see echelon making noises again.  The fear of zigbee
>must be pretty strong.  Is anyone making residential devices using echelon
>stuff?

I think they've concentrated on Europe and industrial markets. An Italian
electrical utility uses their technology for meter reading. One of Echelon's
press releases says, "Italy is one of the largest markets for LonWorks based
devices and automation networks in the world. Enel S.p.A., the Italian
utility, has installed over 10 million LonWorks based electricity meters in
Italian homes. Merloni S.p.A., Europe's third largest appliance
manufacturer, markets the Ariston Digital line of LonWorks enabled
appliances in Italy."

Unless things have changed recently I think their technology is too costly
to have much residential market penetration in the US.