Re: Additional X10 data points

On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 20:21:50 GMT, Charles Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:13:19 -0500, Neil Cherry wrote:
>
>> In the last discussion of Insteon there was a question as to if the
>> X10 would perform better, in my home, if I had an amplified repeater.
>> The answer is yes. I installed a Signalinc Repeater (3-WIRE DRYER) and
>> the B phase now sees a much stronger signal , as expected.  The signal
>> is pretty much on par with the Insteon signals.  There is one severe
>> black hole where the X10 signal drops to less than .1 p-p. I'm going
>> to move one of the Insteon lamp modules there in a few weeks and see
>> how well it works. With the above repeater the X10 Lamp module (in the
>> black hole) works but it kills light bulbs pretty quick compared to
>> not having the device on a module.  Hopefully the Insteon will work
>> well and allow the light bulbs to live a little longer. I'll also be
>> replacing a garage X10 wall switch (the dimable, cheap and ugly one)
>> with an Insteon wall switch. The old switch had the same problem with
>> bulbs and has been very unreliable (can't turn it on but can turn it
>> off, even though the signal strength is now above 1v pk-pk).
>
> I'm surprised to hear of your problem with light bulb longevity.
> I have a number of ordinary incandescent light bulbs connected
> to X10 wall switches and lamp modules.  They're on daily from dusk
> to dawn, dimmed about 10% from max, and only rarely need
> replacement.  I think some have been running for 2-3 years or more.
>
> What's the usual power line voltage at your house?  (Mine usually
> runs between 120-125 V.)

We only have problems with 2 sets of bulbs. The first is anything on
an X10 dimmer, the second if a set of Halogen bulbs that hang down at
the front door. The opening and closing of the front door causes
problems with the halogen and they have to be the type that can hang
down. The rest of the bulbs in our home last (alot) longer than 6
months.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)