Re: New Home Construction

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

<stuff snipped>

> When installing mud rings in hollow walls, I like to tape a dental mirror
> the side of a Maglight flashlight.  This allows me to view the inside of
the
> wall cavity.

I just bought a "snake" cam that feeds into a portable LCD TV to handle wall
"scanning" - the optics and CCD sensor are at the end of a flexible stalk
and the electronics is in a box down stream.  Add just a single bright white
LED and you've got a neat setup.

I saw a NatGeo videographer use a similar rig to look for larger than
tarantula-sized spiders in South America.  He would poke the camera head
down various spider holes until he found a winner (which usually attacked
the camera with great ferocity).  I figured, if it worked for him, it would
be the perfect think to look down into wall cavities.

<stuff snipped>

> Another poster once expressed concern about using a paddle bit to drill
> through a wall.  Note that this can easily and safely be accomplished if
you
> do the following.  Be sure you're standing on a firm surface -- not
leaning
> sideways off your ladder when drilling.  Drill at a moderate speed and do
> not push on the drill.  Let the bit do the cutting.  When the bit starts
> come throuogh the other side of the wood it can bind if you're drilling at
> an angle *and* pressing hard on the drill.  By using light pressure and
> allowing the bit to do the job you will avoid problems.  Even if you do
bind
> the bit, unless you're using a really powerful drill you won't hurt
> yourself.

Wear *good* eye protection too.  Those chips will fly everywhere as well as
all the in-wall dirt loosened by the vibration.

--
Bobby G.