Re: X10 still around?

I think the diatribes against top-posting trace back to the early days of
Usenet, when news was read with host-based readers through (e.g.) VT-100
emulators (or actual VT-100s :), which simply scrolled the text that was
sent to them.  I certainly started out that way.  Those primitive readers
tended to scroll through the entire post, leaving the bottom of it visible
on the 24-line screen.  Under those circumstances, bottom-posting made
sense - it was most likely to leave the stuff you were interested in on the
screen.

More modern newsreaders, taking advantage of X/Mac/Windows technology,
display the post as an entity in a window, usually with the top initially in
view.  Using this type of reader, top-posting tends to be easier to read.

I try to match my posting style to the "culture" of the particular
newsgroup - if I see top-posters being flamed by the "regulars", I'll
bottom-post (if I remember to :); my default is to top-post, since I suspect
it's more convenient for the, say, 90% of Usenet participants who have no
axe to grind and are using simple, modern newsreaders like Outlook Express.

    - Dennis Brothers